View Full Description
X/Y Recording allows you to cover a wide area and capture sound sources in the centre with clarity and definition. The XYH-5 X/Y microphone capsule included with the H5 provides two matched unidirectional condenser mics set at a 90 degree angle. These are housed within an advanced shockmount that employs rugged external mic wires and rubberized material to isolate the unit from the H5 body and thus minimize vibration and handling noise. The XYH-5 also allows the H5 to handle louder sounds than any other Handy Recorder model: 140 dB SPL, equivalent to the sound of a jet aircraft from less than 200 feet away!
In addition to stop, play/pause, record, rewind and fast-forward, the front panel of the H5 offers dedicated record arming buttons for each track, which double as mute switches during playback. A Hold switch disables all front panel buttons to prevent accidental operation during recording. The H5 can be attached to a camera strap or, with an optional Hot Shoe mount, a DSLR or camcorder.
Dual combo XLR/TRS inputs that can handle both mic- and line-level signals allow you to connect external microphones and line-level devices like mixers, portable music players, effects processors and instruments equipped with active electronics. Each H5 input has its own dedicated gain control knob, located beneath a protective bar that prevents unwanted movement. The supplied capsule also provides a secondary input for connecting stereo mic- or line-level signal via a 1/8" mini phone jack. The H5 supports a +4 dB (professional) input level and uses the same high-quality preamps as the H6, ensuring great-sounding recordings in all sonic environments.
A dedicated Line Out with adjustable volume allows you to send a stereo audio output from the H5 to the mic input of a video camera or other device without the need for an attenuator cable. In addition, there's a separate headphone output with a dedicated volume control. You can use both outputs simultaneously to route audio to your DSLR while monitoring over headphones. There's also a built-in speaker for fast access playback, and a USB port which allows the H5 to be used as an audio interface for your computer or iPad.
Just 2 AA batteries - either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH - are required for power. When using alkaline batteries, the H5 will operate for more than 15 hours, even while recording continuously. You can also use an optional AC adapter to power the H5 without batteries. The H5 records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 gigabytes. Maximum recording time is dependent upon the card size and file type; for example, a 2GB SD card can hold approximately fourteen hours of stereo 320kbps MP3 files, three hours of stereo 16-bit/44.1 kHz WAV files, or an hour of stereo 24-bit/96kHz WAV files.
The H5 can operate in two different modes - choose stereo for two-track stereo recording, or multitrack for four-track recording (in either stereo pairs or individual mono tracks)-and it captures audio in the two most commonly used file formats: WAV and MP3. The WAV files recorded by the H5 can be 16- or 24-bit, with sampling rates of 44.1, 48, or 96kHz (96kHz sampling rate available in stereo mode only). They are automatically time-stamped and thus Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant, allowing for precise synchronization in video post-production. MP3 files, while slightly lower in fidelity, are much smaller than WAV files and are thus easier to email and post on social networking sites - allowing you to quickly and easily share your creations around the world.
The H5's onboard effects allow you to add polish to your recordings. Compression and limiting compensate for fluctuations in input level, while a low-cut filter helps eliminate wind noise, blowing, and other kinds of low frequency rumble. There's even an onboard metronome and chromatic/guitar/bass tuner.
But the list of H5 features doesn't end there. There's playback looping, pitch change and variable playback speed (without pitch change) to help with phrase training. A pre-record function that keeps the H5 continuously recording in the background, keeping the previous two seconds before you hit RECORD. There's an Auto-Record function that allows recording to begin automatically when a certain level of sound is detected and an equivalent Auto-Stop function that ends recording when the sound drops below a user-designated level, either immediately or up to 5 seconds later. And then there's Backup-Record - the ultimate safety net (44.1 and 48kHz WAV files only). It enables the H5 to automatically record a duplicate set of stereo tracks with 12dB less input gain. Even if your original track is distorted, chances are the Backup version will be fine!
You can even use your H5 as an audio interface, complete with a Loop Back function that makes it easy to add narration to music playback. Simply connect the H5 to your computer or iPad (Apple Camera Connection Kit required). via USB, launch your favorite DAW or use the included Wavelab LE software, and start creating a masterpiece.
- Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Includes detachable X/Y capsule (XYH-5) with extended signal capacity and shockmounted mics for reduced handling noise
- Compatible with all Zoom input capsules
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Large backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
- Analog-style gain controls for each input
- Protective "roll-bar" type covers prevent accidental movement of gain controls
- Plug-in power (2.5 volts)
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression and limiting
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
- MS decoding
- Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
- Normalize, Divide and Trim editing
- Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
- A/B loop playback
- Variable playback speed and variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad with loop back function
- Mountable to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-01 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
- Uses two standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 15 hours of operation with alkaline batteries
- Operation manual
- XYH-5 X/Y mic capsule
- AA size (LR6) battery x 2
- USB cable
- Foam windscreen
- Steinberg WaveLab LE software download
- Steinberg Cubase LE software download
- SD card: 16MB to 2GB , SDHC card: 4GB to 32GB
- Display: Backlit LCD (128 x 64 pixels)
- INPUTS L/R [XYH-5 X/Y mic]:
- Mic type: Unidirectional
- Sensitivity: -45 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Input gain: -∞ to 52 dB
- Max sound pressure input: 140 dB SPL
- MIC/LINE IN:
- Connector: 1/8" stereo mini jack
- Input gain: - ∞ to 52 dB
- Input impedance: 2 k Ω or more
- Plug-in power: 2.5V supported
- Backup recording: -12dB lower than set L/R input gain
- INPUTS 1/2:
- Connectors: XLR / TRS combo jacks, (XLR: Pin 2 hot / TRS: Tip hot)
- Input gain (PAD OFF): -?∞ to 55.0 dB
- Input gain (PAD ON): -∞ to 35.0 dB
- Input impedance: 1.8 k Ω or more
- Max input level: +22 dBu (PAD ON)
- Phantom power: +12V /+24V /+48V
- Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -120 dBu or less